Monday, 19 June 2017 | MYT 12:00 AM
Eateries in Tanjung Sepat forced to shut down as state decides to develop land
Two restaurant operators, whose premises in Tanjung Sepat, Kuala Langat, were demolished, are asking for a temporary site from the state government to continue running their business.
The demolition was to make way for a new food court at the sea front as well as a flood mitigation project and beautification works.
One of the restaurants was Ocean Seafood Restaurant. Its representative, Lee Lee Sin, 39, said there had been discussions with state exco for Local Government, New Village Development and Legalising of Factories, Ean Yong Hian Wah and Kuala Langat District and Land Office personnel since last year but nothing was resolved.
“The state government had verbally offered to lease us a very small piece of land as temporary site while waiting for the new food court to be built in two years, and told us that we would be given priority to rent a lot there later.
“We received a notice to vacate our premises in May but we never received any official letter regarding the temporary site offer.
“So we delayed moving out from these premises because we were worried about ending up with nowhere to go,” she said.
The premises were built on state-owned land with temporary occupation licence (TOL) status for decades.
Construction of the new food court, flood mitigation and beautification works at the sea front are expected to take two years.
The operators were initially reluctant to relocate and had brought a civil suit against the state government, which was thrown out by the court in April. An appeal has since been filed.
Following the notice to vacate the premises within 24 hours on May 23, the premises were eventually demolished by the Kuala Langat District and Land Office last week.
“We hope the state government can allocate us a piece of land to rebuild our business,” said Low Swee Kiang, 50, owner of the second affected eatery – Lover Bridge Seafood Restaurant.
Sepang MCA division chief Datuk Ng Chok Sin said the Selangor government should have relocated the restaurants before tearing down the premises.
“Now with the premises gone, they have lost their source of income and left in the lurch with no place to go.
“The state government should be more sensitive about their plight and address this issue properly,” he said.
“Selangor MCA will continue to pressure the state government to resolve matters related to land with TOL status.
“Those who have problems in regards to such land, can come to us,” said Ng, who is also the Selangor MCA liaison committee secretary.
Ean Yong said the state had done its part to relocate the restaurants.
He said that if the operators were still interested to run their businesses at the new site, they could write to the Kuala Langat District Council after the works were completed later.
“We will give priority consideration to their applications,” he added.
A meeting will be held between Ean Yong and other relevant agencies today to discuss the matter.