More in news


Thursday, 7 December 2017 | MYT 9:36 PM

I have no place to call home, says woman stranded in India

KLANG: The saga of S. Dewa Suriya, the woman who was stranded in India, is not over: She says she has nowhere to go when she arrives home on Friday (Dec 8).

"My mother is homeless and lives wherever she gets a temporary place to stay for short periods of time," said the 37-year-old when contacted at her husband's hometown in Kamuthi, located in the Ramanathapuram district in Tamil Nadu.

She said she is worried about where she can go when she arrives at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) from India on Friday evening.

"My two brothers and sister also have serious financial problems, with no proper home.

"I come from a hardcore poor background," said Dewa Suriya.

She added that she hopes to find a job which would allow her to rent a house and support her son.

"I am frightened, I don't know what to expect anymore," she added.

Luckily for her, G. Gunaraj, deputy president of non-governmental organisation (NGO) Rudra Devi Samaj Malaysia, heard of her plight and has arranged for Deva Suriya and her son Darshan, four, to stay at the Persatuan Kebajikan Sri Saradha Devi Illam in Rawang.

"She can stay at the home and arrangements will be made to take care of her and Darshan.

"We don't want them ending up on the streets," said Gunaraj.

Another NGO, Persatuan Malayalee Klang (Mamangam), has also come forward to offer RM1,500 temporary subsistence for Dewa Suriya and Darshan.

Its welfare fund board member Mohan Ramakrishnan said their plight had caught the society's attention.

"We have many programmes to help children in need and we could simply not look the other way when we read about their situation," said Mohan.

Dewa Suriya made headlines recently when a video clip of her crying and begging for help went viral on social media.

In the video, she claimed she was trapped in her husband's hometown and was being physically abused by her mother-in-law.

Her husband, S. Murugadass, 34, had borrowed money and bought Dewa Suriya and Darshan flight tickets back home earlier this week, but they were blocked from leaving the country for overstaying for 17 days.

Malindo Airways has since replaced the two tickets for free on humanitarian grounds.

Dewa Suriya and her son have since been slapped with an Rs2,000 (RM125) fine each by the Indian authorities and given the green light to leave the country.

A counsellor and an officer from the Kuala Lumpur Welfare Department will also be present to welcome Dewa Suriya and Darshan at the KLIA.

Dewa Suriya and Muragadass had been cohabiting for the last eight years and the family moved to India three months ago after the latter had to leave Malaysia for staying in the country illegally.