More in news


Friday, 22 September 2017 | MYT 11:41 AM

'Jackpot Auntie' in legal tussle with firm she helped set up

SINGAPORE: "Jackpot Auntie" Choo Hong Eng, who was hailed for giving away $410,000 (RM1.2mil) in casino winnings to charity, is being sued for more than $200,000 (RM622,294) by the company she helped start.

Choo, a shareholder and director of Kwan Inn Vegetarian Cuisine, has been accused of contract breaches, not fulfilling her director role and defamation.

The 63-year-old made headlines in October 2011 when Marina Bay Sands Casino initially declined to pay her the $410,000 she won on its slot machines. Claiming that the machine had been faulty, it instead offered her a car worth $250,000.

But MBS later relented, and Choo gave all the money to nearly 30 charities, including the Singapore Buddhist Federation and the National Kidney Foundation.

Now, she is in the news for very different reasons.

She is contesting the claims by Kwan Inn and countersuing the company to account for all monies paid by her on the firm's behalf and pay any sums due to her, as well as asking the court to declare the documents signed last year as void.

These documents relate to last year's sale of a 50 per cent stake in Kwan Inn, which Choo and a partner originally owned, to food and beverage firm Jus Delish Group.

Under the sale terms, Choo was hired as brand ambassador for Kwan Inn at $8,000 a month, and had to cease running the Kwan Inn (Geylang East) Vegetarian Food stall she owned upon securing a catering licence for the company by Dec 28 last year.

Kwan Inn, which owns seven vegetarian food stalls, had been paying for the Geylang stall's overheads since last July, and collecting its revenues until April 16 this year.

It alleged that in April, it discovered Choo had been ordering excess stocks which could not be accounted for when the sales revenue for the stall was tallied. Among other things, she had put $25,786 on the stall's tab over just 13 days.

She also allegedly ignored instructions to stop work for two days to allow for the annual stock taking, and continued to operate as if the stall was her own.

The company sacked her on April 19. Yet she refused to vacate the stall or hand over all sales revenue to the company and continued to run the stall for her own benefit, according to court papers.

The firm claimed that it lost $200,000 in estimated revenue from the stall for April and May.

The company's lawyers Timothy Tan and Magdalene Chew applied for a court injunction earlier this month to stop Choo from entering the Geylang premises and to hand over all sales revenues since April 16. A High Court hearing on the injunction is due next month.

Choo, in defence documents filed by her lawyer Sng Kheng Huat, argued that the documents she signed last year were different from the terms that were orally agreed on earlier.

She alleged that the deal was supposed to let her run the Geylang stall without interference from the company, which was to bear the running costs. She said she cannot read English, and claimed that the contents of the documents were not explained to her. She was also not allowed to seek legal advice.

Choo told The Straits Times yesterday that she would respect any decision the courts make. "I will leave all these matters of the law to the lawyers." Until then, "I will still walk my own path, and my workers will carry on their work". – The Straits Times/Asia News Network