More in news


Sunday, 13 August 2017 | MYT 4:15 PM

Lawyers of Phee, two suspects fail to challenge remand in Kedah

ALOR SETAR: The High Court has rejected the applications of Penang exco member Phee Boon Poh (pic) and two suspects to be released from a five-day remand order over investigations into an illegal factory in Bukit Mertajam.

Lawyers R.S.N Rayer and Ramkarpal Singh represented Phee, while Dev Kumaraendran acted for the father and son.

They had filed their submissions against the remand order at the Alor Setar High Court.

Judge Datuk Hashim Hamzah told the lawyers Sunday that application should be filed in Penang instead as it is the suitable "forum" for the matter.

Earlier, Dev said the magistrate in Penang did not hear their submissions before setting the five-day remand order.

"Since the Penang High Court is not open on Sunday, we are here in Kedah to file our submissions," he said to reporters.

Rayer said they hoped to have Phee released soon.

Phee, the factory's 70-year-old manager Gan Buck Hee and his 37-year-old director son Edmund Gan Eu Leong, were arrested by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on Saturday.

They were remanded for five days to allow investigations under Section 23 of the MACC Act 2009 for abuse of power for gratification.

On Sunday noon, MACC officers raided the service centre of Phee, who is also Sungai Puyu assemblyman, in Butterworth.

The Welfare, Caring Society and Environment Committee chairman was detained after he went to the MACC office to have his statement recorded.

Phee's office on the 53rd floor of Komtar was also raided by MACC officers on Friday.

On Thursday, MACC officers seized documents related to the Kampung Sungai Lembu factory from the Seberang Prai Municipal Council.

The MACC and several enforcement agencies also raided the factory Thursday, following complaints from villagers who feared fumes from the factory could affect their health.

The carbon filter-processing factory has been operating on agricultural land inside an oil palm estate for more than 10 years.

The operations over the illegal factory also involved officers from the Immigration Department, Department of Environment, and Inland Revenue Board.