More in news

News

Wednesday, 24 January 2018 | MYT 12:00 AM

MAHB not responsible for leak

SHAH ALAM: Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) is not responsible for the leak of a CCTV recording that showed North Korean Kim Chol at KLIA 2, the High Court heard.

The court was told that a recording was obtained from the airport’s CCTV system and aired on Fuji TV in Japan a few days after Kim Chol’s murder.

MAHB security assistant G. Shankar, who was responsible for converting the CCTV footages at KLIA 2 to DVD format and handing it over to the investigating officer, said MAHB was not involved in the leak.

Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong, center, is escorted by police as she arrives for court hearing at Shah Alam court house in Shah Alam, Malaysia, Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018. Malaysias high-profile trial of Doan and Siti Aisyah accused of killing Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half brother of North Koreas leader resumed Monday after a seven-week recess, with witnesses taking the stand to verify the authenticity of security camera videos capturing the attack. (AP Photo/Sadiq Asyraf)
 

Shankar, 31, was being cross-examined by defence lawyer Gooi Soon Seng in the trial of Indonesian Siti Aisyah, 26, and Vietnamese national Doan Thi Huong, 29 (pic), who are charged with four others, still at large, with murdering Kim Chol, 45, at the departure hall of KLIA 2 at 9am on Feb 13 last year.

Kim Chol is the alias used by Kim Jong-nam, the half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

To a question by Gooi, who represented Siti Aisyah, Shankar said the police concluded that the recording did not come from MAHB.

Shankar said police had investigated the leak and took statements from staff in his department, a week after the recording was aired in Japan.

“But none of MAHB employees were charged in court over the matter,” he said yesterday.

The witness admitted that he had seen the video being shared on Facebook.

He agreed to Gooi’s suggestion that there was a leak but stressed it did not come from the digital folder that he had created on a desktop or a DVD that he burned.

“Only I know the password and I did not reveal it to anyone,” he said.

During re-examination by deputy public prosecutor Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin, Shankar said not all of the CCTV recordings were aired on Fuji TV.

“I made the recordings into six DVDs but the one that was aired was content from only one DVD,” he said.

The hearing before Justice Azmi Ariffin continues today.