Thursday, 14 September 2017 | MYT 12:00 AM
RM40mil siphoned off from funds
PETALING JAYA: Some RM40mil from the Skills Development Fund Corp is believed to have been siphoned off by those tasked with utilising it for the benefit of the people, sources revealed.
Anti-graft officers detained the corporation’s 58-year-old chief executive, who is a Datuk, over the alleged misappropriation of funds.
Others detained included the corporation’s 34-year-old secretary, a 32-year-old assistant financial officer and a 38-year-old director of a company who goes by the honorific “Dr” title.
All of them were picked up in several places in Kuala Lumpur between 4.30pm and 6pm yesterday.
One of the suspects is said to be an office-bearer with a state Umno division.
Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Azam Baki confirmed the arrests.
Sources said the suspects were said to have collaborated with the company director to siphon the allocation provided by the Government.
The corporation is a statutory body under the Human Resources Ministry. It is responsible for providing financial assistance in the form of loans to individuals, such as school-leavers, graduates and others who are interested in pursuing Malaysian Skills Certification, Malaysian Skills Diploma and Malaysian Advanced Skills Diploma at public or private skills training institutions.
It is learnt that the misappropriation of funds has been going on since last year.
In 2016, the Government allocated RM35mil to the corporation and another RM40mil this year to carry out training programmes.
“Initial investigations showed RM15mil was believed to have been siphoned off last year. Another RM25mil is believed to have been misappropriated this year,” said a source.
It is learnt that three of the suspects had also collaborated with the company director to allow 15 of his registered companies to manage the training programmes.
But none of his companies was said to have been equipped with the expertise to conduct such training.
Azam said the MACC would be calling up several witnesses “very soon and that more arrests could be expected”.
“We will carry out a thorough probe as it involves public funds. Our officers will also be seizing relevant documents related to the case,” he said.