More in news


Friday, 19 May 2017 | MYT 10:10 AM

Second rob-and-rape suspect falls, dies in attempt to evade cops

SERDANG: The second suspect in a rape and robbery at an illegal gambling den is dead after he fell from the 12th floor of an apartment in Taman Setapak Jaya here while trying to evade the police.

Serdang OCPD Asst Comm Megat Mohamad Aminuddin Megat Alias said a team of policemen raided an apartment unit at PPR Seri Semarak in Taman Setapak Jaya on Thursday at about 10.10pm after receiving a tip-off.

"The team knocked on the door several times and identified themselves as police but the occupants refused to open the door," he said adding that the team of policemen then cut the padlock and broke down the door.

ACP Megat said that when police entered the home, they found a man and a woman in the living room.

"The policemen heard some objects dropping in the kitchen area and went to check. The found the suspect clinging to the grille outside the kitchen.

"The team of policemen tried to persuade the man to come back inside but he refused," ACP Megat said, adding that the man suddenly fell to the ground.

He said that policemen who went to the ground floor found that the suspect was still alive and called for an ambulance.

ACP Megat said the ambulance arrived about 30 minutes later and brought the man to Kuala Lumpur Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

He added that the Wangsa Maju district police headquarters operations centre has classified the case as sudden death.

ACP Megat added that the deceased suspect had two previous records for drug-related offences.

The other suspect, a 26-year-old man currently in police custody, has a prior record for robbery in the Klang Valley. He was picked up in Kuala Selangor at 5.30pm on Sunday.

The owner of the illegal gambling outlet lodged a report at the Bandar Kinrara police station on Saturday. The crime allegedly took place last Thursday and CCTV footage of the incident went viral.

The victim, a 33-year-old Indonesian, lodged a police report at the district police headquarters on Tuesday evening.