More in news

News

Wednesday, 13 June 2018 | MYT 9:25 PM

Some 15 restaurants shut down so far this year in Subang

PETALING JAYA: Some 15 restaurants have been given a minimum three days shut down notice by the Subang Jaya Municipal Council so far this year.

Notices were given out under the MPSJ Food Establishment Bylaw 2007 where a restaurant that fails to achieve a 65 % mark or grade C and higher during inspection, is asked to halt operations and clean up between three to 14 days from the notice period.

Among the 15 restaurants, two were in Subang Jaya and Seri Kembangan, six in Seri Serdang and five in Kinrara.  

A follow-up inspection must be done before the restaurant can operate again.

MPSJ deputy president Mohd Zulkurnain Che Ali said there are 2,200 restaurants under their jurisdiction and inspection is done following a daily schedule.

“Even if a restaurant is graded A, we will still close it if there are major findings during an inspection, like cockroaches.”

“When we visit one restaurant, it could be clean but when we return the next time and it could be dirty, so we do inspections regularly,” he said adding that the incident in Bangsar with a banana leaf restaurant caught washing dishes in murky road water was a lesson to the council.

There are about 30 MPSJ health inspectors.

Zulkurnain said inspections are carried out by health and licensing officers.

He added that every month a meeting with the council health and licensing committee is held to get councillors’ feedback on the findings during inspections and status of restaurants.