More in news


Tuesday, 17 April 2018 | MYT 7:27 AM

South Korean businessman accused of murdering wife and son dies in suspected jail suicide

A South Korean businessman accused of murdering his wife and six-year-old son at a luxury Hong Kong hotel in January has died in a suspected suicide at the city’s maximum-security prison.

Kim Min-ho was found unconscious on Monday morning by a prison guard inside a single-person cell at Lai Chi Kok Reception Centre in Cheung Sha Wan.

“A quilt was found around his neck,” a government source said.

The 42-year-old was taken unconscious to nearby Caritas Medical Centre where he was later declared dead.

A police spokesman said officers had received a report at 8.50am, but it was unclear exactly what time Kim was found or when he was certified dead.

Kim, the chief executive officer of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in South Korea, was accused of murdering his wife, Song Wha-jeong, 42, and son, Kim Tae-yun, on January 14.

South Korean charged over murders of wife and son at Ritz-Carlton in Hong Kong

Emergency personnel rushed to The Ritz-Carlton hotel – inside the tallest building in Hong Kong, the International Commerce Centre – at about 8.30am that day after receiving a report from hotel staff.

Song and her son were found in bed unconscious inside a luxury suite and were later certified dead by paramedics at the scene. Kim had minor injuries and received treatment at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

The case came to light after Kim called a friend in South Korea saying he had failed in business and was about to commit suicide with his family. The friend then alerted South Korean police, who notified the country’s consulate in Hong Kong.

Ritz-Carlton murder suspect tells Hong Kong police he was too drunk to recall what happened

The family had come to the city for a holiday on January 6 and visited Macau before returning to Hong Kong and checking into the hotel on January 10.

When he made his first court appearance on January 16, Kim, who appeared slightly dishevelled, confirmed he understood two charges of murder against him during a hearing that lasted just seven minutes. He was remanded at Lai Chi Kok Reception Centre pending his next court date.

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2018.